Subject: bug#59275: Unexpected return value of `string-collate-lessp' on Mac

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 09:23:03 +0200

> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 02:22:41 +0000
> 
> > There should be no verbatim copies of doc strings in the manual.  So I'm not
> > interested in making that bad practice easier ;-)
> 
> What about forgetting to update the manual when important changes are
> made to the docstring? I know for certain that it happened many times
> with Org manual. Maybe something can be done to auto-check if updates
> were done to the docstring but not the manual?

That could be a useful feature, suitable for checkdoc.el, perhaps.  But
there are 2 issues here that I'm not sure how would such a feature handle:

 . not every symbol that has a doc string is mentioned in the manuals
 . the doc string and the text in the manual are generally different, and so
   it could be that the update to a doc string doesn't require any update to
   the manual text

So a naïve implementation would probably have too many false positives.  Not
sure if this could render the feature useless.

Bottom line: I'm not sure we can have a good automated way of detecting
updates that were missed, except at patch review time, and that is a
judgment call by the person who does the review, and relies on his/her
vigilance.  But if someone could come up with a good way of doing that, it
will be appreciated.