Subject: Re: bug#59269: Maybe add timestamps to *Async-native-compile-log* by default

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:55:00 -0800

tags 59269 + wontfix
close 59269
thanks

Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm just saying at first glance it looks like something looping because
> there are 145 identical line
>>> $ sort|uniq -c|sort -nr
>>> 145 Loading debian-ispell...
>>> 145 Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el (source)...
>
> But OK, each time a process gets handed back the CPU it prints a message
> again. Necessary?

Maybe not, but then again that should probably be taken up with the
Debian developers, not us.

> If necessary then at least a timestamp could be added to such lines.
> If the timestamp turns out to be the same, that means there is some
> bigger problem.

Are you suggesting that we should print a timestamp each time we start
and/or finish a compilation?  I don't see that it would be very useful,
myself.  The buffer you are looking at should only contain debugging
information, none of which is time sensitive.

So I don't think this is something that we want to do, and I'm closing
this bug report.