Subject: Re: bug#5926: feature request: mv -p to create missing target dir

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:07:07 +0200

At Monday 26 April 2010, Jim Meyering <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Using env is the most portable, at the expense
> of a fork (compared to bash's "command"):
> 
>   env mv "$@"
> 
Generally, this is true.  But Rodolfo was assuming bash as his shell 
anyway, and in this case the use of well-estabilished bash 
builtins/constructs (like "command", which was there since at least 
bash 2.0) can IMHO help to increase portability.  In fact, this way 
one doesn't have to remember the limits/idiosyncracies of many 
different shells and system utilities (and different versions thereof), 
but only those of one shell, i.e. bash (and I think that anyone who's 
read the section "Portable Shell Programming" in the autoconf manual 
could be easily convinced that this is a great advantage).

Regards,
    Stefano