Subject: bug#59243: 28.2.50; Larger Fringe Bitmaps

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:08:06 +0100

On 11/13/22 12:47, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Thanks, but is the intent of bigger-fringe.el to have the user load it
> manually?  If so, this is sub-optimal: Emacs should switch to larger
> fringe bitmaps automatically based on the screen DPI, or perhaps scale
> them.

My idea here would be to just replace the existing bitmaps with the ones
proposed in bigger-fringe.el. They have the same width, but are a little
bit higher. This way they work better with bigger screens and larger
font sizes while still retaining the thin fringe width. The downside is
that the bitmaps look more compressed horizontally - there is less
breathing space to the text right next to the fringe.

Another alternative could be to provide an alternative larger fringe
bitmap set which is used at larger resolution, if the
left/right-fringe-width is larger than 8. Would you prefer that?

If we indeed want to go the route to auto scale the bitmaps, then I
would go the route via characters or via svg, since scaling the bitmaps
will probably not give great results in contrast to hand-crafted bitmaps.

Daniel