Subject: bug#59232:

From: Urban Engberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 18:38:20 +0100

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 at 16:50, Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This kind of change is bound to make worse the apparent performance of
> vc-annotate with SVN. So it would be great to understand the issue of
> the problem first.
>
> Is that a network error? Do you see the same problem with your corporate
> repo when calling the respective command in the command line?
>
> Worst case, we could create a user option, to only be used in affected
> projects.
>

I agree, absolutely. This was just how far I had been able to do my
analysis – and I thought it might be helpful to others diagnosing the
problem.

I have done some more debugging am able to get as far as this snippet (from
the function vc-do-command with arguments unfolded, when okstatus is
'async):

(let ((process-connection-type nil))
  (start-file-process
   "svn"
   (get-buffer "*Annotate Program.java (rev 23283)*")
   "svn"
   "--non-interactive" "annotate" "/home/.../Program.java"))

When I run this command directly in Emacs (using eval-defun), around the
first 100 lines of the svn output is written to the *annotate* buffer,
after which I get the output

Process svn exited abnormally with code 1

written to the buffer. If I set process-conection-type to t instead, the
process finishes without problems.

The svn command is run against an SSH-server inhouse and the
annotate-command takes around 1 second when run from my shell, and I
haven't seen it fail.

I run svn version 1.14.2.

If you have any ideas of what I should do from here, I'd be happy to assist.

-- 
[email-masked], 5679+MHJ Århus
<https://www.google.com/maps?q=9F8G5679%2BMHJ>