Subject: 27.2; vc-annotate on SVN does not process all lines

From: Pierre Rouleau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 19:14:59 -0500

- Start 'Emacs -Q' to visit a 'big' source code file that is revisionned
  on Subversion 1.6.17 (r11280011).
- Use 'C-x v g' to run vc-annotate to annotate the file.
- When the file size is over a (around) limit of 64KiB, only the lines
  corresponding to about 64KiB characters are annotated as they should.
  The lines after that limit are not annotated.  The command does not
  fail and does not report any problem.  It's just that it does not
  annotate the complete set of lines.

If I try 'svn blame' on that file inside a bash shell running in the
Linux terminal, all lines are annotated.  If I start a shell inside
Emacs (with M-x shell) and I run the 'svn blame' command inside that
shell, then all lines are annotated.

If the file is small, all lines are annotated by vc-annotate.
But when the file is large (over about 64KiB) then the end of the files
are never annotated.

This happens on Subversion.
No crash.
-----------------------------------------------

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    'bt full' and 'xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/local/share/emacs/27.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2022-02-07 built on roup-ubuntu16-4
System Description: Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS

Recent messages:
Marking matching files...
0 matching files marked
Hid 0 dotfiles.
Marking matching files...
1 matching file marked
Hid 1 dotfile.
Annotating...
Redisplaying annotation...done (Spanned from 14865.2 to 4045.3 days old)
Annotating... done
Mark set

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY GNUTLS
FREETYPE HARFBUZZ XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES
THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C++//la

Minor modes in effect:
  smart-dash-c-mode: t
  smart-dash-mode: t
  ggtags-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  winner-mode: t
  key-chord-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  superword-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/rouleaup/.emacs.d/utils/sr-speedbar hides
/home/rouleaup/.emacs.d/elpa/sr-speedbar-20161025.831/sr-speedbar
/home/rouleaup/.emacs.d/elpa/lispy-20220203.1437/elpa hides
/home/rouleaup/.emacs.d/elpa/ivy-20211231.1730/elpa

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils smex windmove vc-annotate
pel-vc vc-dir vc vc-dispatcher vc-svn emacros pel-skels-cpp pel-skels-c
pel-list pel-uuid pel-cc pel-cc-find pel-ini pel-ffind-inpath pel-ffind
pel-file smart-dash ggtags ewoc cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ace-link time
ido-completing-read+ memoize cus-edit minibuf-eldef pel-skels-generic
counsel xdg compile comint ansi-color swiper cl-extra ivy flx ivy-faces
ivy-overlay colir color ido-grid ido pel-completion pel-ido pel-seq
indent-tools yafolding s indent-tools-indentation-of winner pel-xref
pel-text-transform pel-read pel-navigate pel-scroll key-seq
pel-key-chord key-chord anzu dired-aux dired-hide-dotfiles dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs term/xterm xterm tempo pel-skels-elisp pel-text-insert
pel-syntax pel--syntax-macros pel-window pel-tempo pel-skels lispy pcase
delsel lispy-inline thingatpt avy noutline outline easy-mmode etags
fileloop generator xref project edebug backtrace help-fns radix-tree
help-mode lispy-tags mode-local advice find-func pel__hydra hydra ring
lv pel-lispy pel-spell-iedit flyspell ispell pel-spell pel-prompt
cap-words superword subword imenu+ pel-imenu imenu paren pel_keys vc-p4
p4-lowlevel recentf tree-widget wid-edit two-column speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe ls-lisp delight pel-autoload pel--keys-macros
pel--options pel--macros pel--base pel finder-inf which-key cus-start
cus-load info edmacro kmacro package easymenu browse-url url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 517926 111494)
 (symbols 48 31419 1)
 (strings 32 154937 21608)
 (string-bytes 1 4413034)
 (vectors 16 42875)
 (vector-slots 8 549940 132422)
 (floats 8 292 2069)
 (intervals 56 5802 1445)
 (buffers 1000 17)
 (heap 1024 32345 10264))