Subject: Re: bug#59217: [PATCH] guix: lint: Improve message in linter warning.

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 21:22:21 +0000

Hi Maxim,

> Personally, I'd prefer not having explanations directly in the output of
> Guix lint; it should be terse, as it's involved often and repeatedly.

I see your point. But, perhaps there should at least be a
link. Something like

/home/arun/guix/gnu/packages/web.scm:8030:17: [email-masked]: sentences in
description should be followed by two spaces; possible infraction at 313
(see
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/guix-lint-errors.html#two-spaces
for details)

Or a lint error code that can be explained in detail in the manual:

/home/arun/guix/gnu/packages/web.scm:8030:17: [email-masked]: sentences in
description should be followed by two spaces; possible infraction at 313
(#12345)

Or a --verbose flag that can enable longer explanations.

New users should not be baffled by error messages and should have some
way of learning more without having to ask on the mailing list or do
extensive research.

Cheers!