Subject: Re: bug#59217: Acknowledgement ([PATCH] guix: lint: Improve message in linter warning.)

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 20:58:10 +0000

Hi jgart,

> Not sure if you remember that conversation we had about the linter
> warning regarding emacs and having to use two spaces in description
> field sentences.

Yes, I remember the conversation.

> Would you mind recapping the issue so that I can improve this message
> further.

My original point was that the linter should not simply complain about
the absence of double spaces but also explain why double spaces are
required. Double spaces are required because Emacs sentence commands
such as M-a and M-e only work when sentences are separated by double
spaces. To be honest, I would consider this an Emacs bug. But, it's
probably impossible to achieve consensus on such a bold claim. ;-)

So, at the very least, the Guix linter should explain why double spaces
are required. As a general rule for all linter messages, contributors
will be happier when the linter explains the rationale for various
messages. Most people don't like doing things without understanding why
they have to do them.

Regards,
Arun