Subject: bug#5921: 23.1; OSX: Emacs 23.1.95 pretest does not compile

From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 10:10:06 +0200

On OSX 10.4 with macports installed, I used:

    $./configure CFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib

and Emacs fails to compile with:

   xsettings.c: In function 'parse_xft_settings':
   xsettings.c:323: error: 'FC_HINT_NONE' undeclared (first use in this function)
   xsettings.c:323: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
   xsettings.c:323: error: for each function it appears in.)
   xsettings.c:325: error: 'FC_HINT_SLIGHT' undeclared (first use in this function)
   xsettings.c:327: error: 'FC_HINT_MEDIUM' undeclared (first use in this function)
   xsettings.c:329: error: 'FC_HINT_FULL' undeclared (first use in this function)
   xsettings.c: In function 'apply_xft_settings':
   xsettings.c:424: error: 'FC_HINT_STYLE' undeclared (first use in this function)

apparently because (old) /usr/X11R6/include include files are still
picked up with priority by the eventually used flags:

   gcc -I/sw/include -L/sw/lib -c -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
   -I/Users/mt/emacs-23.1.95/src -I/usr/X11R6/include
   -I/opt/local/include/gtk-2.0 -I/opt/local/lib/gtk-2.0/include
   -I/opt/local/include/atk-1.0 -I/opt/local/include/cairo
   -I/opt/local/include/pango-1.0 -I/opt/local/include/glib-2.0
   -I/opt/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/opt/local/include
   -I/opt/local/include/pixman-1 -I/opt/local/include/freetype2
   -I/opt/local/include/libpng12 -I/opt/local/include
   -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -Dtemacs -I/opt/local/include/librsvg-2
   -I/opt/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/local/lib/glib-2.0/include
   -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/gtk-2.0
   -I/opt/local/include/cairo -I/opt/local/include/pixman-1
   -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include/libpng12
   -I/opt/local/include/dbus-1.0 -I/opt/local/lib/dbus-1.0/include
   -DORBIT2=1 -D_REENTRANT -I/opt/local/include/gconf/2
   -I/opt/local/include/orbit-2.0 -I/opt/local/include/dbus-1.0
   -I/opt/local/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/opt/local/include/glib-2.0
   -I/opt/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/opt/local/include
   -I/opt/local/include -MMD -MF deps/xsettings.d xsettings.c

When I reorder ALL_CFLAGS in src/Makefile to place
-I/usr/X11R6/include at the end, Emacs compiles.