Subject: Re: [bug#58812] [bug#59164] Coding style: similarly-named variables

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 15:47:31 +0100

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I totally agree!  Preparing some materials for introducing Guile to
> GuixHPC folk, I am trying to collect some tips and, if I am honest, the
> debugging experience with Guile is really poor; compared to others (as
> Python).  For example, DrRacket provides an easy and nice user
> experience [1] – where it is easy to compare each intermediary result in
> the debugger.  For what it is worth, I have not been able to have some
> similar inspections as in [1].  Maybe, I am missing something…

Looking at the video you posted, I better understand what debugging
features we’re talking about.  DrRacket is the gold standard; here it
does something similar to what we have with in Elisp with EDebug, which
is certainly useful.

It may be more of a limitation of Geiser than of Guile.  I find it more
useful in “typical” imperative ELisp code than in functional Scheme
code, but it’d be nice to have either way!

Ludo’.