Subject: [bug#59164] [bug#58812] [bug#59164] Coding style: similarly-named variables

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 15:35:30 +0100

Hi Maxim,

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 15:55, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In practice since using breakpoints/a debugger to debug Guile code
> rarely works as intended (in my experience hacking on Guix!), we
> typically sprinkle the source with 'pk', and that point becomes moot.

I totally agree!  Preparing some materials for introducing Guile to
GuixHPC folk, I am trying to collect some tips and, if I am honest, the
debugging experience with Guile is really poor; compared to others (as
Python).  For example, DrRacket provides an easy and nice user
experience [1] – where it is easy to compare each intermediary result in
the debugger.  For what it is worth, I have not been able to have some
similar inspections as in [1].  Maybe, I am missing something…

Well, IMHO, we are somehow suffering from some Guile limitations and
improvements in this area are an hard task.

Cheers,
simon

Short video demoing (link will be dead after 2022-12-07)
1: https://filesender.renater.fr/?s=download&token=92d4312a-91b4-402e-898a-40ce01a5c3ed