Subject: bug#59149: Feature Request: Report progress of long requests in Eglot

From: Danny Freeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 14:36:11 -0500

Stephen Leake <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I believe that is a different progress reporter, unrelated to the one I
>> would like to introduce. It is not a progress report that come from the
>> lsp server, so I don't think it would be good to conflate them.
>
> True, but how is the user to know where it comes from? We could provide
> something like:
>
> eglot-server-progress-reporter-disable
> eglot-client-progress-reporter-disable
>
> How does the user know which to set? They'll just set both, so there
> might as well be only one.

I see your point here. I'm not quite sure what the right thing to do is.
Maybe it is a new "stay-out-of-progress" var. Maybe it we keep using
"stay-out-of" and have one symbol for general "progress" notifications,
and another distinct one for the "apply-text-edits-progress" one you
don't like. 

Probably should get João's opinion on this, he would have some good
ideas about this.

P.S.
I am copying him on this email, as I realize he wasn't on this branch of
the email chain. João, please see the previous emails in the thread for
more context! Here is a link for convenience:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2022-11/msg01619.html

-- 
Danny Freeman