Subject: Re: bug#59149: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: bug#59149: Feature Request: Report progress of long requests in Eglot

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 11:46:20 -0800

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +(defcustom eglot-report-progress t
>> +  "If non-nil, show progress of long running server work in the minibuffer."
>> +  :type 'boolean
>> +  :version "29.1")
>
> The usual question: is the version number here Eglot, the ELPA package's
> upcoming version number, or is it Emacs's upcoming version number.  I
> think Stefan Kangas had something to say about that.

AFAIU, there are two correct ways to do it:

1. Use :version and the upcoming Emacs version number.  Most :core
   packages do it this way, for example flymake.el.

2. Use :package-version and the upcoming Eglot version number.  This
   requires adding Eglot to `customize-package-emacs-version-alist', and
   then keeping that variable up-to-date as new versions are released.
   See the docstring of the `defcustom' :package-version keyword, and
   `customize-package-emacs-version-alist'.

I think whichever one we pick, we should use it consistently.  Arguably
#1 is a bit easier, but #2 is a bit more correct.  So I think it's
ultimately your decision which way to go for Eglot, João.

Background: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13824#27