Subject: Re: bug#59121: 29.0.50; Gnus: Nnir is deprecated but not mention in the manual

From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 07:29:12 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> While trying out how to search for emails in Gnus, I noticed that
>> nnir.el is deprecated but the manual (gnu.org/software/emacs/manual)
>> doesn't mention any of that.
>> I think the manual should mention that. I think such changes should be
>> documented right a way in general.
>
> Do you mean that you recently upgraded Emacs, and got a deprecation
> warning for a nnir-* variable, but there's no information in the Gnus
> manual about migrating away from nnir?

Not that recently since I'm running Emacs 29.x but the manual says it is
deprecated since 28.x

In any case the manual doesn't mention any other search engines and if I
understand correctly nnir was the only one that supports imap search?

I think the manual should explain the background behind the system a bit
when it explains all the backends that can be used.
>From my point of view it did sound like nnir ties all the backends
together.

Br,

Björn