Subject: 29.0.50; byte-recompile-directory incorrectly ignoring files

From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 19:49:58 -0500

Commit 8638aace3fbe01529f33870f469fa60bf5e43ee7
introduced a bug which will cause byte-recompile-directory to 
invert the semantics of the byte-compile-ingore-files option.

To reproduce:

1. mkdir /tmp/bug/ && cd /tmp/bug/
2. Copy an elisp file which would normally be byte-compiled into 
that directory
3. emacs -Q --batch --eval "(byte-recompile-directory 
default-directory 0 'force)"

You should see output similar to:

Checking /tmp/bug...
Done (Total of 0 files compiled)

In general the entire logic of byte-recompile-directory is messy.
Two ifs without elses, lots of negated predicates, etc. I can see 
why the mistake was easy to overlook. This could be further 
refactored to make it easier to read by leveraging when/unless 
appropriately. Perhaps there's an argument for some abnormal hooks 
in place of those long chains of ad-hoc predicates, but I'm more 
interested in fixing the problem now.

The attached patch fixes it for me.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-11-07 built on nbook
Repository revision: 35221a7bd55e18244604376497097f4259c7351b
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12101004
System Description: Arch Linux

>From f2f8a3f09dc020550ef9cbd064db86082cf19a29 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Nicholas Vollmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 19:57:34 -0500
Subject: [PATCH] bytecomp.el (byte-recompile-directory): Fix negated ignore
 logic

Previous logic would only compile files which matched the
byte-compile-ignore-files regular expression.
---
 lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el | 6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el b/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el
index 4d258dab96..c685e5087f 100644
--- a/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el
+++ b/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el
@@ -1955,9 +1955,9 @@ byte-recompile-directory
                         (not (auto-save-file-name-p source))
                         (not (member source (dir-locals--all-files directory)))
                         ;; File is requested to be ignored
-                        (string-match-p
-                         (regexp-opt byte-compile-ignore-files)
-                         source))
+                        (not (string-match-p
+                              (regexp-opt byte-compile-ignore-files)
+                              source)))
                    (progn (cl-incf
                            (pcase (byte-recompile-file source force arg)
                              ('no-byte-compile skip-count)
-- 
2.38.1