Subject: bug#59109: 29.0.50; package-tests failing since feature/package+vc merge

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 21:34:13 +0200

Several tests in test/lisp/emacs-lisp/package-tests.el have been failing
on my end since the following commit:

  Merge branch 'feature/package+vc'
  5fa2f11679 2022-11-04 18:57:45 +0100
  https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=5fa2f11679

The failures do not happen on the merge commit's first parent:

  * lisp/simple.el (function-documentation): Fix bug#59014
  616aa23d8a 2022-11-04 11:59:51 -0400
  https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=616aa23d8a

I attach a log of building Emacs followed by two invocations of
'make test/package-tests', the first using the suite's .el file and the
second using the .elc.  The failures are the same either way.  Each run
is preceded by "echo '>>> TEST EL[C]'" for easier locating in the log.

Let me know if you'd like me to run anything else on my end.

Thanks,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-11-07 built on tia
Repository revision: 5fa2f116799b8a7c17ff6eedd6e1b1af077c116b
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 35905 6019)
 (symbols 48 5114 0)
 (strings 32 13075 1650)
 (string-bytes 1 370964)
 (vectors 16 9275)
 (vector-slots 8 147475 8338)
 (floats 8 21 23)
 (intervals 56 208 0)
 (buffers 984 10))