Subject: Re: bug#59099: 3-rd party aux files.

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2025 16:47:45 -0600

Thanks for the patch, and sorry for the delayed reply. My concerns are:

1. Changing the meaning of the --libdir option so that it adds rather
than replaces. We have no way of knowing if existing projects rely on
that, but it's quite possible. A new option name is needed to avoid
breaking compatibility. Since you don't like --libdirs (neither do I),
maybe --add-libdir. (The new --print-libdir[s] is ok, since that won't
change existing behavior, i.e., if the new "libdir list" functionality
is not used, the output will be the same. As I understand it.)

2. Although Automake does not use the find_file function, autom4te (in
autoconf) does. Right now the Automake and Autom4te FileUtils.pm are
kept in sync (by make fetch in autoconf), as far as I can see. Thus we
cannot change the behavior of find_file. Instead, a new function name is
needed, e.g., find_file_no_cwd or find_file_with_opt.

2a. Also, the new description in the FileUtils.pm change does not
mention the new final argument, or what the possible options can be.  (I
can tell from the code, I think, but it should be in the comment for the
function.)

3. In order to install any patch, I need to ask you to sign a copyright
disclaimer or assignment. I hope that's ok. I'll send you that form
separately.

Thanks again,
Karl