Subject: Re: bug#59094: 29.0.50; ediff-revision flags wrong lines in etc/HELLO

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 07:49:36 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I don't think Ediff can cope with portions of the file that disappear
> from buffer text.  All the annotations that enriched.el eats up when
> decoding the file are visible to Diff, and they get in the way of
> counting characters.

Ah, thanks, I hadn't realized that there were hidden annotations.  I
thought all the magic incantations were in the local variable settings
at the end of the buffer.

Are the charset tags (annotations) really necessary, given the setting
of 'coding' in the local variables?  (If the answer is "yes" and there
is documentation available that would explain why, feel free to simply
point me at the documentation.  If the answer is "yes" and there's no
documentation, feel free to just say "yes".  I understand that this area
of Emacs can be complicated, and I don't really need to know the
details.)  

The reason I ask is that the files that I saved last night from the old
and new Ediff buffers can be reloaded, and Ediff is able to correctly
show the changes.  Yet I don't see any visual distinctions between the
new file and etc/HELLO, even though the new file's mode is just
Fundamental, not Fundamental Enriched.  (Even the orange text on lines 1
and 34 is duplicated in the saved file, which I confess puzzles me.)

mike