Subject: Re: [bug#61134] [bug#59093] [PATCH] Add motif and xnedit

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 11:08:41 +0100

Hi Andy,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 at 10:12, Andy Tai <[email-masked]> wrote:
> To clarify, when I mentioned Guix QA shows failure, Guiox QA was
> showing "failure" trying to queue the issue to build, not that Gux QA
> was showing some build log with the patch failing to build in some
> way.
>
> So I don't know if you are saying people should look at Guix QA
> sources and help to fix that.  That is possible, of course, but people
> contributing to Guix patches may have no background at all at how Guix
> QA works.

I have understood the first time. :-)

I wrote: «It appears to me better to point the issues and then maybe fix
them instead of bypassing them.  My 2 cents.»

I am not saying that you should fix issues with QA, obviously not.
Instead, I am proposing that if you notice something unexpected with QA,
you should report it and not silently bypass it.

“Report it” means for example drop an email to guix-devel or open a bug
or roam on #guix and tell.  I do not know what is the best and it does
not mean that the issue about QA will be fixed.  It just helps in
improving the tools, IMHO.

Well, for what it is worth, I am trying to say that silently close and
reopen another ticket because QA does not behave as expected is a
short-term hack – and yes it is often necessary to have the task done
now :-) – but by silently closing it does not help for the longer term.

Thanks for your contributions and taking the time to discuss how we
could collectively improve Guix. :-)

Cheers,
simon