Subject: 23.1; (feature request) scrollable "widget-choose" window

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 21:09:48 +0200

Hi everyone,

This is not a bug report but a feature request. Maybe not an important one,
but anyway i think would be worth the trouble.

Recently, i reported a bug related to the widget-choose window (
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5695). The problem was that the
window didn't show the entire buffer contents, and it was impossible to see
the hidden portion, because there was no way of selecting the window and
scroll the text down.

The bug has been closed, but the problem has been resolved only partially,
because there remains one case in which we'll have the same problem: When
the option list is too large to fit in the window (or the window too small
to show the entire list).

Output from "emacs-version" command:

> "GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3) of 2010-03-26
> on crested, modified by Debian"
>

Steps to reproduce the problem:

   1. Open a graphic terminal, and resize it to (90 columns, 10 rows). This
   is quite small, because the largest option list i've found right now is
   quite short too.
   2. start emacs with "-nw" and "-q" switches.
   3. M-x customize-group <RET> killing <RET>
   4. Modify a bit the "kill ring max" property.
   5. Put the cursor on the associated "[State]" text and type <RET>.
   6. Now you shoud see the widget-choose buffer, but showing only part of
   the text (similar to the attached screenshot). And there's no way to switch
   to that buffer and scroll the text.

I think that a good solution would be to generalize the implementation of
"tmm-menubar" in such way that was applicable also in this situation.

And that's all, thanks.

   Dani.