Subject: Re: bug#59087: 29.0.50; package-vc-update error

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 16:29:51 +0000

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Do you think we should make it such?  The command is strictly speaking
>> not necessary, because package-update does the same thing.
>
> Does it?  `package-update' updates *all* packages, not just the VC
> packages.  If I understand that correctly, then I suggest we auto-load
> `package-vc-update[-all]' so that the user can update *just* their VC
> package[s] when they need to.

Just to avoid, confusion, we have two separate issues here: What
packages are prompted for updating, what packages a command can update.
package-vc-update prompts only VC packages, package-update prompts all
packages, always including VC packages.  But both commands always just
update a single package.

In fact, what package-update does is just check if a package is a VC
package, in which case it just calls package-vc-update.  I am actually
leaning towards removing package-vc-update, but I recognise the
convenience of package-vc-update-all and think preserving the symmetry
is preferable.

> Rudy