Subject: bug#59081: 28.2; Lisp Error:Invalid image type: 'svg'

From: Thomas Bumbera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 09:01:54 -0800

To Whom it May Concern,

emacs-debug-on-error:

clicked on emacs icon to start emacs.
emacs starts with error: in invalid image type:'svg'

Note: Original configuration was error free using Apple MacOS Monterey 12.
      Error showed - up after upgrade to Apple MacOS Ventura 13.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid image type ‘svg’")
  signal(error ("Invalid image type ‘svg’"))
  error("Invalid image type `%s'" svg)
  image-type("splash.svg" nil nil)
  create-image("splash.svg")
  use-fancy-splash-screens-p()
  about-emacs()
  funcall-interactively(about-emacs)
  call-interactively(about-emacs nil nil)
  command-execute(about-emacs)
  read-from-minibuffer("M-x " nil (keymap (10 . minibuffer-complete-and-exit) (13 . minibuffer-complete-and-exit) keymap (menu-bar keymap (minibuf "Minibuf" keymap (tab menu-item "Complete" minibuffer-complete :help "Complete as far as possible") (space menu-item "Complete Word" minibuffer-complete-word :help "Complete at most one word") (63 menu-item "List Completions" minibuffer-completion-help :help "Display all possible completions") "Minibuf")) (27 keymap (103 keymap (27 keymap (99 . switch-to-completions))) (118 . switch-to-completions)) (prior . switch-to-completions) (63 . minibuffer-completion-help) (32 . minibuffer-complete-word) (9 . minibuffer-complete) keymap (menu-bar keymap (minibuf "Minibuf" keymap (previous menu-item "Previous History Item" previous-history-element :help "Put previous minibuffer history element in the min...") (next menu-item "Next History Item" next-history-element :help "Put next minibuffer history element in the minibuf...") (isearch-backward menu-item "Isearch History Backward" isearch-backward :help "Incrementally search minibuffer history backward") (isearch-forward menu-item "Isearch History Forward" isearch-forward :help "Incrementally search minibuffer history forward") (return menu-item "Enter" exit-minibuffer :key-sequence "\15" :help "Terminate input and exit minibuffer") (quit menu-item "Quit" abort-recursive-edit :help "Abort input and exit minibuffer") "Minibuf")) (13 . exit-minibuffer) (10 . exit-minibuffer) (7 . abort-minibuffers) (C-tab . file-cache-minibuffer-complete) (9 . self-insert-command) (XF86Back . previous-history-element) (up . previous-line-or-history-element) (prior . previous-history-element) (XF86Forward . next-history-element) (down . next-line-or-history-element) (next . next-history-element) (27 keymap (60 . minibuffer-beginning-of-buffer) (114 . previous-matching-history-element) (115 . next-matching-history-element) (112 . previous-history-element) (110 . next-history-element))) nil extended-command-history nil nil)
  completing-read-default("M-x " #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x7e433f61ccf7cd9>) #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x131547103b642ea9>) t nil extended-command-history nil nil)
  completing-read("M-x " #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x7e433f61ccf7cd9>) #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x131547103b642ea9>) t nil extended-command-history)
  read-extended-command()
  byte-code("\302\30\11\303 \10E)\207" [execute-extended-command--last-typed current-prefix-arg nil read-extended-command] 3)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.1.0, NS appkit-2113.00 Version 12.0.1 (Build 21A559))
of 2022-09-12 built on armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.0

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns
radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace help-mode find-func cl-loaddefs
cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 55959 6513)
(symbols 48 6989 1)
(strings 32 19912 1695)
(string-bytes 1 657808)
(vectors 16 14750)
(vector-slots 8 201055 9659)
(floats 8 26 39)
(intervals 56 266 0)
(buffers 992 11))

Backtrace included:

Emacs-invalid-image-type-svg-debug:

From: Thomas Bumbera <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: 28.2; invalid image type: 'svg'
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 15:17:24 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
--text follows this line--
I tried emacs -Q and no errors at start-up.

So probably a config issue as you surmised.

Deleted my config files:
.emacs, .emacs.d. #.emacs#

uninstalled emacs formacs and used brew to install
emacs.  error only shows with GUI use.  error does not show if emacs
opened from command line in iterm2 or terminal.

Debug error showed after: typing  M-x Dired.   Clicking on a directory that popped-up in a
seperate Apple GUI file directory window. 

One other user has this problem:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/74289/emacs-28-2-error-in-macos-ventura-image-type-invalid-image-type-svg

Best regards,
Thomas Bumbera

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.1.0, NS appkit-2113.00 Version 12.0.1 (Build 21A559))
of 2022-09-12 built on armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.0

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail cus-edit pp battery time
cua-base display-line-numbers help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug
backtrace org-indent org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg
url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-search eieio-opt cl-extra help-mode speedbar ezimage dframe
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku
svg dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode
exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic
json map bibtex iso8601 ol rx org-keys oc seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
shell pcomplete thingatpt files-x grep compile text-property-search
comint ansi-color ring time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start
cus-load iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 218726 13296)
(symbols 48 21607 1)
(strings 32 74855 2056)
(string-bytes 1 2465252)
(vectors 16 39322)
(vector-slots 8 436493 28523)
(floats 8 272 195)
(intervals 56 1672 0)
(buffers 992 15))

Backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid image type ‘svg’")
  signal(error ("Invalid image type ‘svg’"))
  error("Invalid image type `%s'" svg)
  image-type("splash.svg" nil nil)
  create-image("splash.svg")
  use-fancy-splash-screens-p()
  about-emacs()
  funcall-interactively(about-emacs)
  call-interactively(about-emacs nil nil)
  command-execute(about-emacs)
  read-from-minibuffer("M-x " nil (keymap (10 . minibuffer-complete-and-exit) (13 . minibuffer-complete-and-exit) keymap (menu-bar keymap (minibuf "Minibuf" keymap (tab menu-item "Complete" minibuffer-complete :help "Complete as far as possible") (space menu-item "Complete Word" minibuffer-complete-word :help "Complete at most one word") (63 menu-item "List Completions" minibuffer-completion-help :help "Display all possible completions") "Minibuf")) (27 keymap (103 keymap (27 keymap (99 . switch-to-completions))) (118 . switch-to-completions)) (prior . switch-to-completions) (63 . minibuffer-completion-help) (32 . minibuffer-complete-word) (9 . minibuffer-complete) keymap (menu-bar keymap (minibuf "Minibuf" keymap (previous menu-item "Previous History Item" previous-history-element :help "Put previous minibuffer history element in the min...") (next menu-item "Next History Item" next-history-element :help "Put next minibuffer history element in the minibuf...") (isearch-backward menu-item "Isearch History Backward" isearch-backward :help "Incrementally search minibuffer history backward") (isearch-forward menu-item "Isearch History Forward" isearch-forward :help "Incrementally search minibuffer history forward") (return menu-item "Enter" exit-minibuffer :key-sequence "\15" :help "Terminate input and exit minibuffer") (quit menu-item "Quit" abort-recursive-edit :help "Abort input and exit minibuffer") "Minibuf")) (13 . exit-minibuffer) (10 . exit-minibuffer) (7 . abort-minibuffers) (C-tab . file-cache-minibuffer-complete) (9 . self-insert-command) (XF86Back . previous-history-element) (up . previous-line-or-history-element) (prior . previous-history-element) (XF86Forward . next-history-element) (down . next-line-or-history-element) (next . next-history-element) (27 keymap (60 . minibuffer-beginning-of-buffer) (114 . previous-matching-history-element) (115 . next-matching-history-element) (112 . previous-history-element) (110 . next-history-element))) nil extended-command-history nil nil)
  completing-read-default("M-x " #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x7e433f61ccf7cd9>) #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x131547103b642ea9>) t nil extended-command-history nil nil)
  completing-read("M-x " #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x7e433f61ccf7cd9>) #f(compiled-function (sym) #<bytecode 0x131547103b642ea9>) t nil extended-command-history)
  read-extended-command()
  byte-code("\302\30\11\303 \10E)\207" [execute-extended-command--last-typed current-prefix-arg nil read-extended-command] 3)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Thomas