Subject: [bug#59078] [PATCH] lint: Split the derivation lint checker by system.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 10:47:08 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 at 17:33, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In general, being able to tell which category a checker belongs to, and
> then being able to select checkers by categories sounds like a useful
> improvement to me.
>
> I don’t think it solves the problem Christopher initially reported
> though (about memory consumption of the ‘derivation’ checker.)

Indeed.  My understanding of the proposal is to split some checkers (as
derivation) and then group them to have the expected behaviour.  You
wrote [1]:

        I meant that it’s important to have a single ‘derivation’
        checker that checks derivations for all the supported systems.
        Packagers should be able to run ‘guix lint -c derivation PKG’
        and be confident that it’s fine for all systems.

and Chris answered [2]:

        I think we can still keep that by adding support for grouping
        lint checkers. So have a derivation group, instead of a single
        checker.

        Maybe that'll change the command slightly to 'guix lint -g derivation
        PKG', but I think that can be equivalent.

where I try to feed Chris’s proposal. :-)

I do not know if it is the correct level but being able to run “smaller“
checkers appears to me worth to try.

1: http://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
2: http://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]

Cheers,
simon