Subject: bug#59062: esh-var-test/alias test failures on Ubuntu 22.10

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 15:36:17 -0700

On 11/5/2022 2:44 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> This is on Ubuntu 22.10 x86-64, with current Emacs master (commit 
> 8a49a888532c955ae81855636a65b446508cb361 dated today). "make check" 
> fails in some of the esh-var-test/alias tests. Some esh expertise (which 
> I don't have) would be of use in debugging this so I'm taking the 
> liberty of cc'ing Jim.

This is the relevant bit:

    (ert-test-failed
      ((should
        (eshell-match-output regexp))
       :form
       (eshell-match-output "Variable `ALIAS' is not settable\n")
       :value nil :explanation
       (mismatched-output
        (command "set ALIAS hello\n")
        (output "Variable ‘ALIAS’ is not settable\n")
        (regexp "Variable `ALIAS' is not settable\n"))))

It says the output has curved ‘’ quotes, but the regexp used to match 
the output uses `' quotes. I've never seen that fail locally, though I 
usually run "make -C test check-lisp-eshell". Maybe some setting (or 
other test) is messing with the way `' quotes get printed, which 
confuses the Eshell tests?