Subject: bug#59017: closed (Re: bug#59017: 28.2; Searching using nnir stopped)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 15:48:01 +0000

Your bug report

#59017: 28.2; Searching using nnir stopped

which was filed against the emacs,gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59017: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59017
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#59017: 28.2; Searching using nnir stopped
From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
To: Waleed Yousef <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 07:47:20 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 11/06/22 09:03 AM, Waleed Yousef wrote:
> Great; thanks so much.
>
> On a side note, this means that I have always to keep reading the release update. This is a lot of time waste. Why there is no backward compatibility?

nnir -> gnus-search was quite a major change, and it would have been
impractical to maintain perfect backward compatibility (not to mention
that would prevent you from using some of gnus-search's new features).
You should have been seeing an obsolete variable warning about this on
every Emacs start -- that's supposed to be your clue.

Subject: 28.2; Searching using nnir stopped
From: Waleed Yousef <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 08:51:31 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I used to use namazu as the search engine inside gnus. All of a sudden,
it is no longer working. Probably, this is after I started using
spacemacs. But nothing changed. This is my configurations:

(require 'nnir)
(setq nnir-method-default-engines '((nnml . namazu)))
(setq nnir-namazu-index-directory (expand-file-name "~/.namazu-mail"))
(setq nnir-namazu-remove-prefix "/home/wyousef/Mail/")

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-09-12 built on frederik
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -g -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug
 -flto=auto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now
 -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  global-evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  company-quickhelp-mode: t
  company-quickhelp-local-mode: t
  eval-sexp-fu-flash-mode: t
  flycheck-pos-tip-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  treemacs-icons-dired-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  evil-escape-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  winum-mode: t
  pupo-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-vi-tilde-fringe-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  spaceline-info-mode: t
  spaceline-helm-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  persp-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  purpose-mode: t
  eyebrowse-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  clean-aindent-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  spacemacs-leader-override-mode: t
  global-spacemacs-leader-override-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  global-page-break-lines-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/wyousef/.emacs.d/elpa/28.2/develop/load-env-vars-20180511.2210/load-env-vars hides /home/wyousef/.emacs.d/core/libs/forks/load-env-vars
/home/wyousef/.emacs.d/elpa/28.2/develop/spinner-1.7.4/spinner hides /home/wyousef/.emacs.d/core/libs/spinner
/home/wyousef/.emacs.d/elpa/28.2/develop/transient-20221028.1430/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail evil-nerd-commenter
evil-nerd-commenter-operator evil-nerd-commenter-sdk smartparens-html
sgml-mode facemenu evil-surround ffap gnus-topic pop3 utf-7 gnutls imap
rfc2104 nndraft nnmh nnml nnfolder wdired epa-file network-stream
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug backtrace helm-info
company-files company-keywords company-etags company-gtags
company-semantic company-template company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-capf company-quickhelp php-extras company overseer pkg-info
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm epl auto-compile packed elisp-slime-nav
flycheck-elsa flycheck-package package-lint finder eval-sexp-fu
goto-addr vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn
vc-cvs vc-rcs vc vc-dispatcher bug-reference evil-lisp-state
drupal/flycheck drupal/phpcs flycheck-pos-tip pos-tip flycheck
highlight-numbers parent-mode rainbow-delimiters smartparens-config
smartparens-latex smartparens-org smartparens-text smartparens-c
smartparens yasnippet-snippets yasnippet misearch multi-isearch
dired-aux drupal-mode drupal/emacs-drush drupal/ispell drupal/etags
drupal/eldoc sql view php-mode speedbar ezimage dframe cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align php-face php php-project
flymake-proc flymake cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs dired-quick-sort
treemacs-icons-dired treemacs-projectile treemacs-persp treemacs-evil
treemacs-tag-follow-mode treemacs-tags treemacs treemacs-header-line
treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode treemacs-interface
treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-follow-mode
treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations treemacs-async
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-scope pulse treemacs-faces
treemacs-icons treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros image-file
image-converter highlight-parentheses helm-external helm-net
tramp-archive tramp-gvfs zeroconf helm-descbinds helm-mode helm-misc
helm-files image-dired image-mode exif helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags
helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-global-bindings helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib evil-escape ox-pandoc ht ox-org ox-odt rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar org-contacts
org-projectile projectile grep org-category-capture org-capture gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap utf7
netrc gnus-spec gnus-win nnrss dom mm-url nnmail gnus-int gnus-range
mail-source message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader nnoo gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mail-utils
org-agenda org-refile ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element
avl-tree org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table
oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 time-date
ls-lisp all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons magic-latex-buffer iimage tex-mode compile delsel
winner auto-dictionary async diminish evil-matchit
evil-matchit-evil-setup evil-matchit-sdk semantic/lex semantic/fw
mode-local find-func xterm-color ws-butler winum
spacemacs-purpose-popwin window-purpose-x imenu-list hideshow imenu
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs evil-collection-dired dired
dired-loaddefs etags fileloop generator xref project volatile-highlights
vi-tilde-fringe undo-tree diff queue symbol-overlay string-inflection
spaceline-config spaceline-segments spaceline powerline
powerline-separators color powerline-themes saveplace savehist
restart-emacs desktop frameset server popwin persp-mode org-rich-yank
multi-line multi-line-find multi-line-enter multi-line-decorator
multi-line-respace multi-line-shared shut-up multi-line-cycle
multi-line-candidate journalctl-mode array hl-todo compat compat-macs
geben dbgp window-purpose window-purpose-fixes
window-purpose-prefix-overload window-purpose-switch let-alist
window-purpose-layout window-purpose-core window-purpose-configuration
window-purpose-utils eyebrowse evil-unimpaired f f-shortdoc shortdoc
text-property-search evil-textobj-line evil-mc evil-mc-command-execute
evil-mc-command-record evil-mc-cursor-make evil-mc-region
evil-mc-cursor-state evil-mc-undo evil-mc-vars evil-mc-known-commands
evil-mc-common evil-easymotion evil-collection-buff-menu evil-collection
annalist evil-anzu anzu emr popup s dash editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch edit-server noutline
outline drag-stuff column-enforce-mode clean-aindent-mode clang-format
xml helm-easymenu cl drupal/pcomplete tex-site hybrid-mode
evil-evilified-state which-key use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core hydra lv evil evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands
reveal flyspell ispell evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-search
evil-ex shell pcomplete comint ansi-color evil-types evil-macros
evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common windmove calc
calc-loaddefs calc-macs thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars ring
bind-map info quelpa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode lisp-mnt mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr help-fns
radix-tree hl-line xt-mouse autorevert filenotify disp-table cl-extra
recentf tree-widget spacemacs-dark-theme spacemacs-common format-spec
finder-inf ido-vertical-mode ido core-spacemacs core-spacebind
core-use-package-ext core-transient-state core-micro-state core-toggle
core-keybindings core-fonts-support core-themes-support
core-display-init core-jump core-release-management core-custom-settings
core-configuration-layer core-progress-bar core-spacemacs-buffer
core-funcs spacemacs-ht inline help-mode warnings package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
password-cache json map url-vars eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs epg
rfc6068 epg-config core-command-line core-debug edmacro kmacro derived
core-hooks page-break-lines easy-mmode core-env load-env-vars rx
core-dotspacemacs advice core-customization validate cus-edit pp
cus-load wid-edit seq byte-opt core-emacs-backports core-compilation
pcase bytecomp byte-compile cconv core-dumper subr-x spinner cl-macs gv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib core-load-paths core-versions core-early-funcs
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1166763 1001850)
 (symbols 48 149557 59)
 (strings 32 368700 145838)
 (string-bytes 1 11616246)
 (vectors 16 126461)
 (vector-slots 8 2538183 821518)
 (floats 8 1450 3161)
 (intervals 56 8082 2039)
 (buffers 992 31))