Subject: bug#59015: closed (Re: bug#59015: 28.2; tramp asking for root password instead user password)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 14:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#59015: 28.2; tramp asking for root password instead user password

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
59015: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59015
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#59015: 28.2; tramp asking for root password instead user password
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: "C. Conrad" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 15:12:59 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.1

"C. Conrad" <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> => System info below.
>
> Sudoing with tramp
>
> (defun vserver-edit-root()
>   (interactive)
>   (find-file "/ssh:[email-masked]#2345|sudo:92.14.61.91:/"))
>
> asks me for the password of the "root" user, but i have to enter the
> pw
> for "user". "user" is in "sudo" group.
>
> Aside from the wrong string shown as prompt, everything works fine.

Thanks for the report.

This is fixed already in Tramp 2.6, which will be part of Emacs 29. The
first standalone release, 2.6.0, is planned for the end of this year,
and it is also planned to distribute it via GNU ELPA.

Closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 28.2; tramp asking for root password instead user password
From: "C. Conrad" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 06:53:29 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

=> System info below.

Sudoing with tramp

(defun vserver-edit-root()
(interactive)
(find-file "/ssh:[email-masked]#2345|sudo:92.14.61.91:/"))

asks me for the password of the "root" user, but i have to enter the pw
for "user". "user" is in "sudo" group.

Aside from the wrong string shown as prompt, everything works fine.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0)
of 2022-10-12 built on cconrad-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
'configure --with-x --with-json'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP
SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: IBuffer

Minor modes in effect:
global-company-mode: t
company-mode: t
elmacro-mode: t
selectrum-prescient-mode: t
openwith-mode: t
pc-selection-mode: t
delete-selection-mode: t
save-place-mode: t
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
desktop-save-mode: t
savehist-mode: t
ctrlf-mode: t
ctrlf-local-mode: t
selectrum-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr dabbrev emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils dired-aux rfc2104 mule-util goto-addr color-moccur cl
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company pcase bm cl-extra goto-last-change
elmacro s selectrum-prescient prescient char-fold selectrum
minibuf-eldef crm save-comint-history dired-narrow dired-hacks-utils
dash finder-inf openwith bookmark+ bookmark+-key derived dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs bookmark+-1 bookmark+-bmu help-mode bookmark+-lit
bookmark+-mac bookmark pp grep compile text-property-search ffap
thingatpt server browse-kill-ring blinking-cursor highlight-current-line
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs pc-select delsel saveplace tramp-cache
tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec recentf tree-widget wid-edit desktop
frameset cus-load aes jka-compr-ccrypt jka-compr crypt crypt++
crypt+pgp-pub savehist edmacro kmacro rx pydoc-info advice info-look
easy-mmode info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 378857 16267)
(symbols 48 25931 1)
(strings 32 128839 3345)
(string-bytes 1 3626488)
(vectors 16 39589)
(vector-slots 8 557416 19022)
(floats 8 101 37)
(intervals 56 867 64)
(buffers 992 15))