Subject: bug#59015: 28.2; tramp asking for root password instead user password

From: "C. Conrad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 06:53:29 +0000

=> System info below.

Sudoing with tramp

(defun vserver-edit-root()
(interactive)
(find-file "/ssh:[email-masked]#2345|sudo:92.14.61.91:/"))

asks me for the password of the "root" user, but i have to enter the pw
for "user". "user" is in "sudo" group.

Aside from the wrong string shown as prompt, everything works fine.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0)
of 2022-10-12 built on cconrad-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
'configure --with-x --with-json'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP
SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: IBuffer

Minor modes in effect:
global-company-mode: t
company-mode: t
elmacro-mode: t
selectrum-prescient-mode: t
openwith-mode: t
pc-selection-mode: t
delete-selection-mode: t
save-place-mode: t
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
desktop-save-mode: t
savehist-mode: t
ctrlf-mode: t
ctrlf-local-mode: t
selectrum-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr dabbrev emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils dired-aux rfc2104 mule-util goto-addr color-moccur cl
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company pcase bm cl-extra goto-last-change
elmacro s selectrum-prescient prescient char-fold selectrum
minibuf-eldef crm save-comint-history dired-narrow dired-hacks-utils
dash finder-inf openwith bookmark+ bookmark+-key derived dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs bookmark+-1 bookmark+-bmu help-mode bookmark+-lit
bookmark+-mac bookmark pp grep compile text-property-search ffap
thingatpt server browse-kill-ring blinking-cursor highlight-current-line
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs pc-select delsel saveplace tramp-cache
tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec recentf tree-widget wid-edit desktop
frameset cus-load aes jka-compr-ccrypt jka-compr crypt crypt++
crypt+pgp-pub savehist edmacro kmacro rx pydoc-info advice info-look
easy-mmode info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 378857 16267)
(symbols 48 25931 1)
(strings 32 128839 3345)
(string-bytes 1 3626488)
(vectors 16 39589)
(vector-slots 8 557416 19022)
(floats 8 101 37)
(intervals 56 867 64)
(buffers 992 15))