Subject: bug#59005: 29.0.50; Package transient installed as dependency despite it being built-in

From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:38:04 +0100

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> That is indeed the case.  The issue was triggered by a change to
>> elpa-admin.el, the addition of version checks, which takes pre-releases.
>> into account.
>
> By chance, could there be a relation of this to my bug#59652?  Dunno why
> that one does not get any attention, it seems not that minor to me.

No, I changed the "suffix" from "-git" to ".50-git", using both the
emacs specific not-a-release ".50" suffix and the "-git" suffix, whose
meaning apparently is up for discussion.  Using both suffixes works for
me, because all my version strings used for releases always have exactly
three parts, M.m.p.  I can use ".50" as the forth part for non-releases,
because I know I will never tack on a forth part ".0" when creating a
release.

1.2.3-git (*)  <  1.2.3  =  1.2.3.0 (*)  <  1.2.3.50-git  <  1.2.4

  (*) not used by me

[ Off-topic, but unlike version< et al., my vcomp.el, supports both pre
  and patch releases:

  1.2.3pre1 < 1.2.3 < 1.2.3-patch1

  The patch part can also be something like "-git" or "-1"; the dash is
  key.  The latter means it supports the "Debian package version number
  format".

  https://manpages.debian.org/wheezy/dpkg-dev/deb-version.5.en.html. ]

> I ask because "transient" rings a bell (it is also a package that is
> often related to trouble in my scenario).

What kind of trouble?  Packaging trouble I assume.