Subject: Re: bug#59003: [PATCH 0/7] [Installer] Warn about unsupported devices

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 12:24:23 +0100

Hi,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>> +(define %unsupported-linux-modules
>> +  '([…]
>> +    ;; Graphics.
>> +    "amdgpu"
>> +    "radeon"
>
> Yes, this is fine, I think, even though AMD users will have also gotten
> the uvesafb warning before and even though allegedly some AMD devices
> work okay without firmware (except for 3d, according to h-node).

Right, I think it’s only 3D that won’t work.  Maybe we should remove
them?  Dunno, we also want to warn about things that will not work to
its fullest.  Maybe we should reword the sentence?  Like:

  Unfortunately, it means those devices will not be usable.
  ->
  Unfortunately, it means those devices will not be usable or that some
  features will be unavailable.

WDYT?

> Also with the previous v1 patch revision (I had missed that), and now
> testing on a PC with non-working AMD graphics, when I first select
> shell-based install, I get the warning, then switch back to the
> installer with Alt-F1 and select graphical installation, after first
> seeing the uvesafb warning, the installer crashes.  installer-backtrace
> is this:

Oops, thanks; I fixed that recursive call in ‘run-welcome-page’.

I also added a sentence under “Hardware Considerations” mentioning this
warning and pushed the whole thing, in the hope we can call for testing
real soon.

  514fedbf39 * installer: Report known-unsupported PCI devices.
  6b39c3afcc * installer: Error page width is parameterized.
  938d6161cb * installer: Use 'current-guix' for extensions.
  afbd4d8470 * linux-modules: Add 'load-pci-device-database'.
  655fb8feac * linux-modules: Add support for listing PCI devices.
  4f7ffb97a4 * installer: Warn about hardware support after the welcome page.

Thanks,
Ludo’.