Subject: Re: bug#59003: [PATCH 0/7] [Installer] Warn about unsupported devices

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 21:51:31 +0100

Hey Ludo,

Overall, this is a very welcomed improvement :)

> -(define (check-hardware-support)
> +(define %unsupported-linux-modules
> +  ;; List of Linux modules that are useless without non-free firmware.
> +  '("iwlwifi"))
> +
> +(define unsupported-pci-device?
> +  ;; Arrange to load the module alias database only once.
> +  (let ((aliases (delay (known-module-aliases))))
> +    (lambda (device)
> +      "Return true if DEVICE is known to not be supported by free software."
> +      (any (lambda (module)
> +             (member module %unsupported-linux-modules))
> +           (matching-modules (pci-device-module-alias device)
> +                             (force aliases))))))
> +

I feel like all the hardware related part should not be part of the
gnu/installer/newt/ directory which is intended to contain mostly
Newt/GUI related stuff.

It would also be more logical for the contributors to browse the
gnu/installer/hardware.scm file for the %unsupported-linux-modules list
than the gnu/installer/newt/welcome.scm file. This can be done as a
follow up though.

I'm currently testing this patchset on a few machines with unsupported
hardware and will report back.

Thanks for this patchset,

Mathieu