Subject: bug#58985: 29.0.50; Have auth-source-pass behave more like other back ends

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 07:29:55 -0800

Akib Azmain Turja <[email-masked]> writes:

> Akib Azmain Turja via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife
> of text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> "J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> While I certainly welcome the assiduous scrutinizing of Emacs lisp
>>> mechanics and technique (truly), I was mainly hoping that, as an avid
>>> pass user, you would also help flesh out the precise effects of the
>>> behavior introduced by these changes and hopefully share some insights
>>> into how they might impact day-to-day usage for the typical pass user.
>>> Granted, that necessarily involves applying these patches atop your
>>> daily driver and living with them for a spell and, ideally, investing
>>> some thought into imagining common usage patterns beyond your own (plus
>>> any potentially problematic edge cases). If you have the energy to
>>> devote to (perhaps just some of) these areas, it would really help move
>>> this bug report forward. Thanks.
>>
>> Actually, I'm not very brave, and any damage to my password-store would
>> be an absolute disaster.
>>
>> However, I have made a backup and add the encrypted passwords to a Git
>> repository, and since the patch looks safe, I'm going to apply and test
>> it.
>
> I have applied the patch the on top commit f8c11b5a, and it works fine.
>
> I did some basic testing (manually) of auth-source-pass and the
> dependent packages I use, password-store and pass, and they all seem to
> be unaffected when the new option enabled.  So I guess we can enable it
> by default.  I didn't felt the need of test with the new feature
> disabled, since the patch doesn't touch any old code.

Awesome. Thanks for all the work. I know it's kind of a hassle.

> And I also found that, auth-source finds the entry "[email-masked]"
> correctly with (auth-source-search :host "disroot.org") when the new
> user option is set to t.

Yeah, it's sometimes tricky to tell if the new code is even running, so
it's great that you checked that.

> However, I haven't still installed the Emacs build with the patch
> applied as my daily driver, I'm working on that.  The tests were
> performed on Emacs build without GUI.

OK, nice.

You mentioned previously some potentially surprising ambiguities
surrounding the trailing /user syntax. If any realistic scenarios
present themselves, perhaps we can try to improve the situation if it's
not too far out of scope (or just document the behavior, maybe in a unit
test). Thanks again.