Subject: bug#58985: 29.0.50; Have auth-source-pass behave more like other back ends

From: Akib Azmain Turja <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 13:26:19 +0600

Akib Azmain Turja via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife
of text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> "J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> While I certainly welcome the assiduous scrutinizing of Emacs lisp
>> mechanics and technique (truly), I was mainly hoping that, as an avid
>> pass user, you would also help flesh out the precise effects of the
>> behavior introduced by these changes and hopefully share some insights
>> into how they might impact day-to-day usage for the typical pass user.
>> Granted, that necessarily involves applying these patches atop your
>> daily driver and living with them for a spell and, ideally, investing
>> some thought into imagining common usage patterns beyond your own (plus
>> any potentially problematic edge cases). If you have the energy to
>> devote to (perhaps just some of) these areas, it would really help move
>> this bug report forward. Thanks.
>
> Actually, I'm not very brave, and any damage to my password-store would
> be an absolute disaster.
>
> However, I have made a backup and add the encrypted passwords to a Git
> repository, and since the patch looks safe, I'm going to apply and test
> it.

I have applied the patch the on top commit f8c11b5a, and it works fine.

I did some basic testing (manually) of auth-source-pass and the
dependent packages I use, password-store and pass, and they all seem to
be unaffected when the new option enabled.  So I guess we can enable it
by default.  I didn't felt the need of test with the new feature
disabled, since the patch doesn't touch any old code.

And I also found that, auth-source finds the entry "[email-masked]"
correctly with (auth-source-search :host "disroot.org") when the new
user option is set to t.

However, I haven't still installed the Emacs build with the patch
applied as my daily driver, I'm working on that.  The tests were
performed on Emacs build without GUI.

-- 
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: [email-masked]
Codeberg: akib
emailselfdefense.fsf.org | "Nothing can be secure without encryption."