Subject: Re: bug#58985: 29.0.50; Have auth-source-pass behave more like other back ends

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 21:25:21 -0800

Björn Bidar <[email-masked]> writes:

> "J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> From my pov you could push the changes. But as you said the other
>>> message, you'll wait for feeback fron users. That's OK, but pls take
>>> into account that later this month an emacs-29 branch will be cut
>>> off. Feature changes shall be pushed until then.
>>
>> Right, good point. I guess if no one else weighs in by this time next
>> week, we can flip a coin or something. Thanks.
>
> Sorry that I come a little late to this but

No worries at all.

I know this is asking a lot, but if you get a chance, please apply the
v2 patches and try them out. (Actually, you can omit the second one in
the set, which only affects ERC.)

> will this mean the backend will act less like Passwordstore.org
> describes or more?

That's a good question. My main goal thus far has been to make its query
behavior as close as possible to that of the other auth-source back
ends. Glancing at that web page, it seems auth-source-pass has taken
some liberties WRT to query features, like drilling down into the tail
of a file's contents and ascribing semantics to parts of a file name.

> I think the backend should follow the users organization of the
> passwordstore folder if possible.

>From this I'll infer that the current implementation of auth-source-pass
does that sufficiently. If that's so and the changes I'm proposing
threaten to interfere with that, what's your opinion on the default
value of a knob to toggle the new behavior?

Thanks,
J.P.