Subject: Re: 29.0.50; Have auth-source-pass behave more like other back ends

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 20:59:09 -0800

Hi Damien,

Damien Cassou <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think it's fine to break backward compatibility if it makes
> auth-source-pass closer to what auth-source requires.

There's some nice behavior that you introduced initially regarding
the narrowing of results, namely (from the info manual):

  If several entries match, the one matching the most items (where an
  "item" is one of username, port or host) is preferred. For example ...

It'd be a shame to lose that, since folks may have come to rely on it.
Perhaps it would be prudent to offer an escape hatch of some sort to
restore the existing behavior?

> I don't have time to review the code though, I'm sorry.

No worries at all.

Unfortunately, I don't use pass myself and am mostly concerned with
ERC's integration. The good news is an actual pass user, Akib (Cc'd),
has expressed some interest regarding this topic on emacs-devel, so I'm
hoping they'll step in and take over or collaborate in some fashion.
Also, I noticed that the password-store.el in zx2c4's contrib/emacs
subdir actually requires auth-source as a dependency, so I've Cc'd the
maintainer for that package as well.

Thanks,
J.P.