Subject: Re: 29.0.50; Gnus setup broken by commit 2cf9e699ef0fc43a4eadaf00a1ed2f876765c64d

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 15:38:02 +0000

"J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:

> If we were actually gonna try and debug this, I'd probably ask you for
> the names of the affected items in your ~/.password-store and the query
> params passed to `auth-source-search' and maybe also whatever's printed
> to *Messages* when a query is performed with `auth-source-debug' turned
> on.

The affected item is, I believe, ~/.password-store/local-gmail:imap.gpg
and likely also ~/.password-store/smtp.gmail.com:465.gpg.  When I set
auth-source-debug to t, these lines appeared in *Messages*

auth-source-pass: final result: nil
auth-source-search: found 0 results (max 1) matching (:max 1 :host ("local-gmail" "localhost") :port ("imap" "imap" "143") :user "[email-masked]" :require (:user :secret) :create t)
auth-source-pass: final result: nil
auth-source-search: CREATED 0 results (max 1) matching (:max 1 :host ("local-gmail" "localhost") :port ("imap" "imap" "143") :user "[email-masked]" :require (:user :secret) :create t)
Opening nnimap server on local-gmail...failed: 

> However, I think it's probably best to forgo all that and do what I was
> leaning toward from the outset, and that's keeping the new behavior off
> by default in Emacs 29. It's looking liable to cause too much churn for
> too many folks [1]. Thus, unless anyone objects or has anything else to
> add, I will do this in the next 24 hours or so. Apologies again for the
> disruption and the time spent bisecting.

No problem, and thanks for understanding.  I think it is indeed better
if you make this opt-in. I can then opt into it and help you debug the
root cause.  But in the meantime, my email won't be broken :-)

João