Subject: Re: bug#58985: 29.0.50; Have auth-source-pass behave more like other back ends

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 12:23:23 +0100

"J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> v2. Respect existing user option.

I'm not familiar with the auth-source-pass.el implementation, so I
cannot speak too much about your patch. Reading it roughly, I haven't
found serious flaws, 'tho.

However :-)

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
+(defcustom auth-source-pass-standard-search nil
+  "Whether to use more standardized search behavior.
+When nil, the password-store backend works like it always has and
+considers at most one `:user' search parameter and returns at
+most one result.  With t, it tries to more faithfully mimic other
+auth-source backends."
+  :version "29.1"
+  :type 'boolean)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

- The name of this user option as well as its docstring are focussed on
  the current behavior. People won't know what "mimic other auth-source
  backends" would mean. Please describe the effect w/o that comparison,
  and pls give it a name based on its effect, and not "...-standard-search".

- I'm missing the documentation in doc/misc/auth.texi and etc/NEWS.

Best regards, Michael.