Subject: bug#58985: 29.0.50; Have auth-source-pass behave more like other back ends

From: Kai Tetzlaff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 02:02:55 +0100

"J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:

Thanks for the quick reply.

>> I haven't had time to investigate the issue but what I can already say
>> is that the problem occurs independent of the value of
>> `auth-source-pass-extra-query-keywords' (`t' or `nil'). So the
>> change is not backward compatible. It would (at least) be nice to
>> mention this in the NEWS entry.
>
> I'd rather not settle for "at least" if we can help it. If the user
> option doesn't preserve existing behavior, that's a bug that needs
> fixing.

I've done some further checks and now it seems that setting
`auth-source-pass-extra-query-keywords' to `nil' in a new emacs session
does indeed fix the issue (maybe `auth-source' caching of the negative
lookup caused my initial breakage to persist even after changing
`auth-source-pass-extra-query-keywords').

The lookup which fails with the new code is for the following
parameters:

auth-source-search: found 0 results (max 1) matching
(:max 1
 :host ("news6.open-news-network.org" "onn6")
 :port ("119" "nntp" "nntp" "563" "nntps" "snews"))

My password store contains an entry for 'nntp/open-news-network.org'. I
don't use the full hostname since the open news network has multiple
servers (news1/2/3/4...) with the same domain name.

Right now I don't have time for a more detailed analysis. But I will
(hopefully) get back to it during the weekend.