Subject: Re: bug#58985: 29.0.50; Have auth-source-pass behave more like other back ends

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 19:45:11 -0800

Hi Björn,

"J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:

> Björn Bidar <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> "J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> From this I'll infer that the current implementation of auth-source-pass
>>> does that sufficiently. If that's so and the changes I'm proposing
>>> threaten to interfere with that, what's your opinion on the default
>>> value of a knob to toggle the new behavior?
>>
>> Hm it depends if there are any backends that workaround that old behavior.
>> From what I see the only difference really is that you can specify
>> require and max.
>
> There are actually a few subtle areas where the behavior between old and
> new differs and maybe one or two slightly unintuitive gotchas for folks
> unfamiliar with how the other back ends operate. If you're curious,
> there's a series of side-by-side comparisons added by the first patch
> toward the bottom of
>
>   test/lisp/auth-source-pass-tests.el
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions.

I should have expressed this more clearly sooner, but I was hoping to
solicit a vote from you as to whether to enable the new, more
"standardized" behavior by default. If you choose to abstain, would you
at least commit to trying it out before 29.1 is fully released and
raising any issues that might arise as a consequence of whatever default
we go with? This would allow us (me, hopefully) to fix or revert the
changes if necessary.

Thanks,
J.P.