Subject: 29.0.50; Dired fails to open with find-file "wrong-type-argument arrayp nil"

From: Felix Hamann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 15:23:44 +0100

Hi!

I am unable to open any directory with dired at this point. As detailed
below, I am using Emacs 29 via snap. The stacktrace is attached below
and was produced with an empty .emacs: simply starting Emacs, C-x C-f
and pressing enter.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
dired--make-directory-clickable()
dired-readin()
dired-internal-noselect("~/" nil)
dired-noselect("~/")
run-hook-with-args-until-success(dired-noselect "~/")
find-file-noselect("~/" nil nil t)
find-file("~/" t)
funcall-interactively(find-file "~/" t)
command-execute(find-file)

Cheers, Felix

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-10-29 built on lcy02-amd64-110
Repository revision: 81d7827f34f1ac1108891421a44b36554776b04e
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Ubuntu 22.10

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo --with-native-compilation
--with-xinput2
'CFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
-O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu'
'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date help-fns radix-tree cl-print
byte-opt debug backtrace find-func cus-start cus-load dired
dired-loaddefs site-start comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq
cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97013 8590)
(symbols 48 8501 0)
(strings 32 22803 1842)
(string-bytes 1 675846)
(vectors 16 17710)
(vector-slots 8 347597 15121)
(floats 8 33 47)
(intervals 56 793 0)
(buffers 984 15))