Subject: 29.0.50; set-face-attribute call in init.el has no lasting effect

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 02:44:24 +0200

1. Have a line in init.el like

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 110 :weight 'semi-light :family
"Cascadia Mono")

2. Start Emacs. See the graphical frame get resized briefly during 
startup, but then go back to the default monospaced system font (Ubuntu 
Mono in my case), with the default font size.

To reproduce without wiping ~/.emacs.d, create

/tmp/.emacs.d/init.el with that one line

and run

emacs -Q -l /tmp/.emacs.d/init.el

with a recent enough build from master.

If I then evaluate that line in the running Emacs session (visit the 
file, go to eol, press C-x C-e), the face attributes get set correctly, 
with expected visual result.

There was a similar report in emacs-devel from Tim Cross 2 days ago, but
it apparently resolved itself after 'fc-cache -v' and rebooting. I
haven't tried rebooting, but the command itself didn't help.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-10-29 built on potemkin
Repository revision: 81d7827f34f1ac1108891421a44b36554776b04e
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB