Subject: bug#58912: 29.0.50; set-face-attribute call in init.el has no lasting effect

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 02:56:29 +0200

On 01.11.2022 02:32, Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army 
knife of text editors wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>  writes:
> 
>> Nope. That value is nil.
> Does it happen in an -nw session as well?  (Obviously, you have to set
> some face attribute other than the font to test.)

Depends on the attribute.

If I set :foreground, it is retained both under X and -nw. :background too.

If I set :underline, it is retained under -nw, but not under X. But that 
includes an older branch which I haven't merged master to for a while, 
which I use daily.

Underline similarly appears briefly during startup but then goes away. 
Same for :inverse-video. All under X (-nw keeps them).

Said branch doesn't touch anything display-related, so it should behave 
like master a few months ago.

The difference seems to be that the most recent master also does that to 
attributes :height and :family.