Subject: Re: bug#58909: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Deleting the last frame of an emacsclient doesn't ask to save

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 16:08:04 +0100

>>>>> On Tue, 08 Nov 2022 16:47:02 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

    >> Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 12:23:58 -0800
    >> Cc: [email-masked]
    >> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
    >> 
    >> I also attached a second patch to show an idea I had: since the first 
    >> patch adds a minor-mode keymap for 'server-mode' (and ensures that the 
    >> mode is activated whenever the server is running), we could get rid of 
    >> the server-specific logic from lisp/files.el. Instead of mapping 'C-x 
    >> C-c' to 'save-buffers-kill-terminal' all the time, Emacs could map it to 
    >> 'save-buffers-kill-emacs' by default. Then, when the server is running, 
    >> remap 'save-buffers-kill-emacs' to 'save-buffers-kill-terminal'.

    Eli> This means a different binding for "C-x C-c" depending on situation,
    Eli> and the binding to save-buffers-kill-terminal depending on a minor
    Eli> mode.  Previously, "C-x C-c" would do its job regardless of the mode.
    Eli> I'm not sure this is for the best.  I'd be interested to hear from
    Eli> others, if anyone has an opinion.

Rules of Emacs:

1. If it works, donʼt change it
2. See Rule 1
3. No, really, see Rule 1

I honestly donʼt see what benefit the minor mode would bring here (and
it might just bring new and 'interesting' bugs).

Robert
--