Subject: bug#58909: 29.0.50; [WIP PATCH] Deleting the last frame of an emacsclient doesn't ask to save

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 12:57:57 -0700

On 11/2/2022 12:23 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Isn't the last suggestion, of having an optional prompt in
> server-delete-client, good enough?

'server-delete-client' is called in a bunch of spots, so at minimum, I'd 
want to be extra-careful that prompting doesn't break one of those 
cases. It would also be nice if I could fix the C-g issue, at least in 
my local configuration.

Still, I'll take a look at doing this if you think it would be good to 
add to Emacs. (If you think it's not needed, I really don't mind leaving 
the code as-is.)

>>> Why is it important to have the mode turned on?  What can a mode do
>>> that we cannot do without a mode?
>>
>> If starting the server activates a minor mode, then Emacs can use a
>> minor-mode keymap for server-mode. [snip]
> 
> I'm fine with doing that, but we must also make sure this mode is
> turned on when users invoke server-start interactively.

I think that makes sense, and it should be fairly straightforward. I'll 
work on a patch for this.

Thanks again for the extensive feedback.