Subject: Re: bug#58909: 29.0.50; [WIP PATCH] Deleting the last frame of an emacsclient doesn't ask to save

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 22:21:42 +0200

> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:01:55 -0700
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
> 
> A user might instead type "emacsclient -c file.txt" (or use "-t", etc) 
> to create an all-new frame. In that case, my patch would prompt. But if 
> the user is already typing "emacsclient -c file.txt", then "emacsclient 
> -nc foo.txt" is just one more character, and it would make it explicit 
> that the client isn't waiting around for file.txt. Then my patch would 
> *not* prompt.

Yes, this new behavior can be worked around, in more than one way.
But people get annoyed by changes which invalidate their muscle memory
of many years.  So we must in each case like this to have a very good
reason for such changes, otherwise people would rightfully conclude
that our decisions are more-or-less are arbitrary and basically prefer
someone's workflows over those of others.  I'm sorry, but past
behavior gets more weight in such situations, just because it was here
first.