Subject: bug#58909: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Deleting the last frame of an emacsclient doesn't ask to save

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 11:06:08 +0100

>>>>> On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 08:52:10 -0800, Jim Porter <[email-masked]> said:

    Jim> On 11/8/2022 7:29 AM, Robert Pluim wrote:
    >> OK. I donʼt see what benefit the *use* of the minor mode in this way
    >> brings :-)

    Jim> The actual change that I'd like to merge is just to make the minor
    Jim> mode activate/deactivate consistently, whereas previously it would
    Jim> activate in some situations where you start the Emacs server, but not
    Jim> others. I'd classify that as "not working".

That sounds good

    Jim> Having the minor mode makes it easier for third-party code (user
    Jim> configs or packages) to define key bindings that are only active when
    Jim> the server is running. That's useful to me, since I don't *always* use
    Jim> the Emacs server.

as does this

    Jim> As for the change to how 'C-x C-c' is bound, I don't have any strong
    Jim> opinion on merging it. It's probably more risk than it's worth, and if
    Jim> we were to merge it, I'd prefer to do so after cutting the 29 branch,
    Jim> since then there'd be more time to find any bugs.[1] However, since
    Jim> the only real benefit is to clean up some dependencies in the code,
    Jim> I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I think it would be too risky a change.

Robert
--