Subject: Re: bug#58909: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Deleting the last frame of an emacsclient doesn't ask to save

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 08:52:10 -0800

On 11/8/2022 7:29 AM, Robert Pluim wrote:
> OK. I donʼt see what benefit the *use* of the minor mode in this way
> brings :-)

The actual change that I'd like to merge is just to make the minor mode 
activate/deactivate consistently, whereas previously it would activate 
in some situations where you start the Emacs server, but not others. I'd 
classify that as "not working".

Having the minor mode makes it easier for third-party code (user configs 
or packages) to define key bindings that are only active when the server 
is running. That's useful to me, since I don't *always* use the Emacs 
server.

As for the change to how 'C-x C-c' is bound, I don't have any strong 
opinion on merging it. It's probably more risk than it's worth, and if 
we were to merge it, I'd prefer to do so after cutting the 29 branch, 
since then there'd be more time to find any bugs.[1] However, since the 
only real benefit is to clean up some dependencies in the code, I'm not 
sure it's worth the effort.

[1] I'd also want to have regression tests for all of that.