Subject: [bug#58903] Specify the build dir for Nix

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 16:45:30 +0100

Heyo,

phodina 写道：
> The issue is that there are some packages that fail to build 
> even on realtively powerful machine due to resource exhaustion - 
> not enough
> RAM.

Yes, this is an issue in Guix as well, e.g., when building disc 
images.

> Unfortunately I'm not aware of any other way how to specify I'd 
> like to build just this package in other directory (other than 
> `/tmp`).
>
> Also is there some other way how Guix handles this issue? I 
> might be also used in Nix.

No, Guix uses the exact same mechanism (and possibly code), 
inherited directly from Nix.

>  (build-dir           nix-configuration-build-dir ;string
>                       (default "/tmp"))

‘directory’.  Plz, no unnec. abbrev.

The concept LGTM.  Calling it a ‘build directory’ might be 
editorialising too much.  Does Nix use it for anything else?

Kind regards,

T G-R