Subject: "guix download" often gets stuck on sourceforge, but browser doesn't

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 17:00:27 +0100

Hi,

When doing

$ guix download mirror://sourceforge/weka/weka-3-9/3.9.5/weka-3-9-5.zip

(from https://issues.guix.gnu.org/51072), it starts downloading, but 
after a while its stops doing anything (at least, nothing visible):

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.e1a90k
 From 
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/weka/weka-3-9/3.9.5/weka-3-9-5.zip...
following redirection to 
`http://master.dl.sourceforge.net/project/weka/weka-3-9/3.9.5/weka-3-9-5.zip?viasf=1'...
  …9-5.zip  52.6MiB 
    323KiB/s 00:30 [###               ]  17.9%

  …9-5.zip  52.6MiB 
    329KiB/s 00:39 [####              ]  23.5%
[no progress!]

I've retried a few times, with no success.

When I try it in the browser (*), it just completes.

I retried again, and now it completed, but I tried again, at this time 
it is stuck on 11.2% (currently 30sec).

I thought that perhaps its just some odd networking error, but given 
that the download completes in the browser, there might be some bug in 
"guix download" or Guile's HTTP implementation.

OTOH, I retried again in the browser and this time it got stuck in the 
browser (42.9 MiB of 52.6 MiB), so maybe the problem lies in the network 
connection or SourceForge.

Greetings,
Maxime.

(*) Without 'HTTPS everywhere' extensions or such.