Subject: Re: bug#58875: 29.0.50; emoji-insert triggers a Lisp error

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 18:31:47 +0100

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> If I revert 2022-10-28 "* lisp/transient.el: Update to package version
> v0.3.7-173-g81b29ca" (de5a3fa1e5), then I no longer get an error.
>
> Haven't dug deeper yet.  FWIW it's not clear to me if the fault lies on
> the side of transient.el or emoji.el: Magit and rg.el's transients work
> fine AFAICT.

Bisecting the transient repo with…

~/src/emacs/master/src/emacs -Q --batch \
    -L ~/.emacs.d/elpa/compat-28.1.2.2  \
    -L ~/src/emacs/transient/lisp       \
    -eval '(emoji-insert)'              || false

… points to:

  ea851f3bde0b769b04ad03ab1a1341c013d0ddc6 is the first bad commit
  commit ea851f3bde0b769b04ad03ab1a1341c013d0ddc6
  Author: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
  Date:   Thu Oct 20 12:19:22 2022 +0200

      Turn suffix specifications into code instead of data

      The macro `transient-define-prefix' manipulates its GROUP arguments,
      but until now it expanded to new vectors using vector syntax, i.e.,
      data.  An effort was made to evaluate lambda expressions, but that did
      not really work.

      Now the GROUP arguments are expanded into code, which evaluates to new
      vectors.  This way lambda expressions are automatically evaluated and
      byte-compiled, but we now have to take care to quote certain lists and
      symbols.

      Functions such as `transient-insert-suffix' take group and suffix
      specs of the same form as `transient-define-prefix' but because there
      is no macro expansion step, they have to `eval' the result of parsing
      these specifications.

      Add a new macro `transient-define-groups', which can be used to define
      suffix groups that are shared between multiple prefix commands, but
      don't use it for `transient-common-commands' to avoid having to make
      a bunch of functions available at compile time.

Still haven't actually looked at what the fuss is about.  Based solely
on emoji.el's use of internal transient-- functions, I'd be tempted to
conclude that emoji--define-transient needs to be updated 🤔