Subject: bug#58865: 29.0.50; Warnings when compiling net/dbus.el

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 16:58:07 +0100

Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Arash,

>> Doesn't happen here. Is it reproducible with "make bootstrap"?
>
> I build Emacs with a script which does:
>
>   git clean -fdx --exclude=ChangeLog
>   ./autogen.sh
>   ...
>
> So my local repo is in a clean state when the compilation starts.  I
> tried 'make bootstrap' and the issue remains.

In the future, please report bugs via `report-emacs-bug'. This gives
useful information.

You appear to have configured Emacs --without-dbus, which would have
been seen when using the bug submit function. Using this configure
option I can reproduce the bug.

However, dbus.el is prepared to care this situation. It contains the code

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;; The following symbols are defined in dbusbind.c.  We need them also
;; when Emacs is compiled without D-Bus support.
(unless (boundp 'dbus-error)
  (define-error 'dbus-error "D-Bus error"))

(unless (boundp 'dbus-debug)
  (defvar dbus-debug nil))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This has worked fine until recently. According to git bisect, the
following commit has broken this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
1b1ffe07897ebe06cf96ab423fad3cde9fd6c981 is the first bad commit
commit 1b1ffe07897ebe06cf96ab423fad3cde9fd6c981
Author: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date:   Mon Oct 17 17:11:40 2022 -0400

    (Ffunction): Make interpreted closures safe for space
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Stefan, could you pls have a look on this?

> Best, Arash

Best regards, Michael.